Galela was founded in 2007 with the purpose of participating in various sectors of the economy. To date Galela has established itself as a force to be reckoned with in the Telecommunications Industry and is also making great strides in the Mining and Energy Industries. Additionally, Galela has an investment arm for acquisitions and expansions within the same sectors.
The objective of our Corporation is to be meaningful participants in the mainstream of South Africa’s Economy as well as the rest of the continent, impacting the lives of the communities we work in positively, while remaining profitable and sustainable.
Galela also has interests in other businesses including Tradepage, Wireless Business Solutions (Pty) Ltd. Through WBS, Galela has interest in iBurst and Broadlink. Below are all the divisions of the company with a specific key focus in the different solutions, clients and technology partners for the various industries.
Galela Telecommunication Holdings (Pty) Ltd, trading as Galela ICT Solutions is focused on Telecommunication services and solutions. Galela ICT Solutions is a major service provider of iBurst (Pty) Ltd. It offers innovative ICT solutions mainly to state owned entities including Alexkor, USAASA and Tshwane FET Colleges. Galela offers VOIP solutions, Wireless Broadband and WiFi services. Due to its relationship with iBurst, Galela has access to the latest telecommunication infrastructure and spectrums that allows it to offer progressive ICT solutions to the market.
Galela Capital is a division within Galela which was established as a financing vehicle for all of the company's investments including, new acquisitions and expansions within the industries where the company has a presence. This division successfully raised funds to form iBurst Africa. iBurst Africa offers telecommunications solutions and also operates in the Mozambique, DRC and Ghana markets.
Galela Capital is currently working on acquiring funds to build a power plant in the Coega IDZ. The power plant will produce a capacity of 4000MW over 3 years. The company is also pursuing interests in the mining sector.
Galela Mining & Energy (Pty) Ltd is a division within Galela formed to focus on innovative energy solutions. This division holds a wholesale certificate to offer licensed petroleum products from the Department of Energy of South Africa. Galela seeks to be part of the change in the mining industry that was previously dominated by white owned & multinational companies. Galela believes that the indigenous people of the country should be empowered by minerals and other natural resources extracted from their own land. The company has to date has secured a supply agreement for Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) with Russia.
Galela endeavors to work with well established, reputable companies to transfer much needed skills into South Africa and the continent of Africa. Galela through mutual beneficial partnerships provide world class services and solutions with well renowned international companies.
To this end Galela has partnered with:
• General Electric (GE) for the gas turbine power plants
• The LINDE Group in Munich Germany for various gas projects
• Gazprom for the supply of gas
• Bashneft for the supply of diesel
• MBI international for fuel storage and transportation (FSRU/ TSV)
• 1997 - Provision of services to Uthingo, WBS is awarded South Africa’s fourth telecommunication license (the National Mobile Data Telecommunications Network license)
• 2004 - WBS signs exclusivity rights to the iBurst technology in South Africa with Kyocera (the manufacturer of iBurst equipment) and Array Comm (the owners of the iBurst technology)
• 2005 - Deployment of a national lotto network in South Africa covering 95% of the population within four months.
• 2006 - iBurst Ghana begins operations; Mr.Thami Mtshali is elected Chairman of the iBurst Consortium Limited (“IBC”), an international body charged with promoting iBurst globally to manufacturers, operators, governments and regulators. IBC is also responsible for regulating iBurst standards as well as selecting operators in various parts of the world.
• 2007 - Funding arrangements with DBSA and IDC concluded leading to the subsequent creation of Galela Telecommunication. Mr. Thami Mtshali’s shares in iBurst South Africa and Ghana are incorporated into Galela
• 2008 -